It is very important to maintain normal body temperature to stay healthy. While we sometimes feel feverish, we might not manage to figure out whether or not our body is hotter than normal and the best way to judge if you or anyone in your family specially your small baby is suffering from fever is to use a thermometer. Fever is usually the first symptom of a number of health related issues and diseases and detecting it at the right time can help you get to the core of the problem faster.
How to use a Thermometer for taking Temperature
The first indication of any infection or illness is rise in temperature. It is always better to monitor your temperature which can be done by us easily using thermometer. A doctor needs to know how high your fever is. So, it is very important to get the temperature right.
Normal Body Temperature: Your temperature is usually lower in the morning and increases during the day reaching its high in the evening. Normal body temperature is 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit or 37 degrees Celsius.
Types Of Thermometer: There are 5 types of thermometers that you can use to take temperature. Digital thermometers have become famous these days and everyone are preferring digital over manual. However, either way you can take temperature.
- Oral: Wash your hands with soap and warm water. Clean the thermometer thoroughly with cold water. This is important to avoid additional foreign particles to enter the body or avoid wrong reading. Do not eat or drink 5 minutes before taking temperature and place the thermometer tip under the tongue for 40 seconds without moving it. If it is a digital thermometer, then it will make a beeping noise after final reading. Take the reading and clean the thermometer with cold water.
- Rectal: For taking Rectal reading you need to be very careful not to mix the same thermometer to take oral reading. First, you need to use lubrication such as petroleum jelly and place the tip in the rectum and then after the thermometer beeps, take the reading.
- Axillary: This type involves placing the thermometer under the arm with the tip in the deepest crease. Take the reading after the beep.
- Tympanic: You need to put the tip in the ear canal opening pulling the top of earlobe up and back. Take the reading.
- Temporal: This type of thermometer is used to take temperature using forehead. Press the button down and sweep across the forehead. Then take the reading.
In this way, we take temperatures using thermometer. Here are the top 6 thermometers that you can invest in to keep your family safe.
6. Dr.Morepen Digiclassic MT101 Hardtip Thermometer
This is a digital thermometer which is very easy to use and delivers accurate readings at all times. This is a mercury free thermometer and is thus very safe to use. It comes with two measurement options that include Celsius and Fahrenheit to make it more convenient for you to take a reading in the measurement of your choice. The Dr.Morepen Digiclassic MT101 Hardtip Thermometer comes from the house of Dr. Morepen which is a trusted brand in the healthcare industry. This is an unbreakable thermometer that comes with an auto switch off as well as a beeper alert.
5. Omron MC-720 non-contact Forehead Thermometer
If you have a kid at home who refuses to place a thermometer under the tongue or the armpit, then the Omron MC-720 non-contact Forehead Thermometer is the best pick for you. You can place this thermometer on their forehead and get the right reading within one second. It is the perfect device for babies as well as those who are concerned about hygiene. A number of doctors too these days are opting in for this thermometer.
4. Vicks V875IN Rigid Tip Thermometer
This is one of the most effective thermometers that comes from the house of Vicks. Vicks is a trusted brand all over the world and this thermometer is also very effective. It is easy to use and can be used orally, under the arm as well as in the rectum in case of pets. It is a waterproof thermometer which makes it easy to clean and disinfect. The thermometer beeps to indicate the signs of fever and detects fever within 30 seconds.
3. Rossmax HA500 Temple Thermometer Non Contact
The Rossmax HA500 Temple Thermometer Non Contact is a thermometer which is perfect for kids and babies. It is a non contact thermometer that needs to be placed on the temple in order to get the reading. It delivers results in just one second and can deliver 9 memories. The Rossmax HA500 Temple Thermometer Non Contact comes with a 2 year warranty making it a great value for money thermometer.
2. Braun IRT3020 Ear Infrared Thermometer
The Braun IRT3020 Ear Infrared Thermometer is a non contact thermometer that needs to be placed in the ear in order to get a reading. This thermometer is very durable and lasts a long time. It comes with a 2 year warranty and manages to deliver last reading too. It is a compact thermometer which makes it easy to travel with.
1. Operon NT-Quick Infrared Non-Contact Thermometer
This is another great non touch thermometer which is one of the best thermometers you can invest it. It is a great value for money and delivers accurate and fast results. It also has an alarm that becomes red when the patient has fever. It is easy to use and reliable.